Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Do you have a to-do list?

Dreams. Goals. Wishes.

Have you ever sat down and thought about these things -- really thought about them?

Life list. Bucket list. To do list.

Have you written them down in one place? Created a bulletin board of pictures? A scrapbook of magazine tears heets?

I've made a million different lists over the years. Some have been more grounded in reality while others reach for the stars (literally).

For a long, long time I thought somewhere in the back of my mind that anything I wrote down on my list had to be done. This is completely unreasonable, and I knew that but somewhere inside of me I felt like if I wrote it down that meant I had to commit to it and want it 100%. Naturally my list was extremely short.

Today things have changed and I've thrown some seriously crazy things into the mix. There's still a little part of me that says Hey, do you really want to do that? Does that sound like a logical idea to you? That'd be expensive and you probably wouldn't like it and it's impossible anyway. We all have that voice inside of us! The people that do great things are the ones that ignore it.

Anyway, here's a glimpse of what's on my list right now...

Own a bakery or a cafe that specializes only in pies. Think Pushing Daisies or Waitress. I just really love pie.

Create something New Orleans related. Possibly a coffee table style non-fiction book on Mardi Gras.

Write a novel. The title of this is a little misleading. It doesn't have to be published. I'd just like to finish the two stories I've started telling. We've got two unsolved murder cases on our hands!

Take a hoop dancing class and learn to hula hoop.

Own a bike -- and actually use it. I have the bicycle riding skills of a 6 year old but I'd still love to have a beach cruiser with a little bell and basket.

My list is pages and pages long of jumbled sentences and half finished thoughts but as far as a life list goes I think it's perfect.

There are always things to change or add and that's the beauty of it! I can cross things off when I finish them or I can cross them off when I move on to something even better.

Don't feel constrained to what's on the paper or on your screen -- I think lists like these serve best as inspirational starting points rather than step-by-step directions.

What's on your list?

0 comments: