Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Reads - Saving CeeCee Honeycutt

"Steel Magnolias meets The Help in this Southern debut novel sparkling with humor, heart, and feminine wisdom."

I started this book on Saturday and finished it Sunday afternoon, and I absolutely loved it! I haven't read Steel Magnolias or The Help (I know, I know!), but this book had everything I love about Southern style literature. Lots of colorful characters with unique names and quirky personalities, delicious food descriptions every other page, and of course close friendships that span multiple generations.  I think it really captured the feel of Savannah, GA too. The only little thing that bugged me about the story was that I felt like setting it in the 1950s was more of an added afterthought. Much of the book felt more modern to me, save for what happens at Tybee Island. I wouldn't say this took away from the story at all though, and I definitely recommend it for a summer vacation read!

I've been on a roll this week - I'm already done with book number four, Them Bones, too! Review up in a minute!

0 comments: